Tuesday, January 1, 2008

5 Weeks Down....So many more to go

We are now officially one month into this deployment. It feels like so much longer, and feels like forever is left. I miss Eric with all my heart. I think with the holidays it has made it much more harder to get through. Christmas wasn't so bad....New Year's was awful. I had to work NYE and today...so that has helped keep my mind off of him being gone. I worked quite a bit this past week, less than I was anticipating, but it seemed like a long stretch. It was nice being cancelled for two of the extra shifts, which always seem not so bad when you sign up for them....but when you actually have to work them, well that is a different story!

Eric told me he was going to a party on the beach put on by the British last night. Their ban on drinking has been lifted, and they are limited to 2 drinks a day. So my question is, did he have two drinks at 2358, and then two more at midnight? Does that count? I got three text messages from him last night while I was sleeping. I think he forgot my work schedule! It is amazing the way technology has enabled us to keep in such close contact. I think that is what has been helping us get through this. He found a way through hotmail that we can text as though we were chatting online. Which helps keep us in touch.

I got a great surprise on Sunday night. I was going to bed and the phone rang. It was him! Sometimes just hearing his voice really lifts my spirits. The funny thing was that I had talked to him the previous day. But for some reason, I really needed to hear him Sunday night...and he called. I just wish that I could physically see him. I have found that the space between my fingers was made for his, that my upper body is the perfect size for his arms to wrap tightly around me. I have also found that my ears miss hearing him snore, my nose misses his scent after he gets out of the shower, my hands miss the way his hair feels after he cuts it, my mouth misses his kiss and my heart just misses him!!! Separation makes the heart grow fonder...and I really can't wait to have him hone...I am fond enough of him!!!

I have discovered a lot about myself though, a lot that would have gone undiscovered without this experience. I have learned I am so much more strong then I have ever thought I was! I have learned to remain calm when faced with those tough situations that he would normally get me out of. Last week when it snowed I ended up in a ditch in the yard. Our driveway has a big slope and the brakes froze up on the way down. Amazingly, my first reaction was "there is nothing I can do." So I just relaxed and enjoyed a very scary ride. Well...there was someone looking over me that morning. I missed a big tree by only a foot. When I crawled out the passendger side I almost slipped going up the hill. But I called a tow. Well, the tow truck driver couldn't get me out because he got stuck. Mind you...I am supposed to go to work. But once again there was nothing I could do! So I waited...and waited and took a nap. Finally the snow melted enough for me to try and get the car out. And I did...all by myself! Turned out I was stuck in some mud with the back tires and the front tires were on some ice. I made it to work, only 4 hours late.

Well I hope everyone had a safe New Year and 2008 is even better!!!

No comments: