Since I became a military wife, I have also gotten to experience the "sneaker wave." That wave of emotion that comes from out of nowhere and takes over. Nothing can help me predict the sneaker wave from hitting, and the more I try to resist it the worse it is. Of course it never occurs in the comfort of my own home when I am by myself. Today it happened at work. I couldn't stop the tears and it seemed as though the more I tried to stop them from flowing, the harder they fell.
I love my husband dearly. But if he is going to send me a picture, I would like it to be of him sad and pissy because he is stuck in an office, preferably with no air conditioning. What I DON'T is a picture of him smiling, on a beach....in the sun. And yes, he got a response with words that can't be repeated. (And can I just say that I have the best friend ever! As I was typing this she sent me a text telling me that on my sucky days she won't send me pics of her on the beach, but cleaning and scrubbing toilets! Oh I love her!) It was right after he sent me that the wave started to hit. I just couldn't contain the tears. Thankfully it was my lunch break. In the locker room some great co-workers gave me hugs and I couldn't stop sobbing. Apparently my mascara really isn't waterproof. Since there is no place to hide (why is that?) I grabbed my car keys and continued my cry fest there. It seemed like the more people saw of the tears the worse they got.
The waves just seemed to come. I know what it must feel like to be in a giant ocean with no control, even if only in an emotional sense. I don't like losing control like that. I don't like crying in front of others. Plus my make-up didn't look half bad this morning, it was kind of a bummer to have "washed" away. But just as quickly as the waves took over, the overwhelming feelings were gone.
I am thankful I have such good friends that try to throw me a life line. It is greatly appreciated, and does help me feel better. And even if the wave keeps taking me out, it helps knowing that someone on the dock still cares.
No comments:
Post a Comment