Sunday, January 24, 2010

Things to NOT say to a Military Wife

I know (or at least hope) that in awkward situations it is hard to come up with the right thing to say. As a military wife I have come up with a short list of the things I have heard in the past few days that kind of burn my butt.

1."Well at least he is not in Iraq (or insert other country name here)"....that is right. He isn't in that place, instead he is a place with unknowns that we may not even be prepared for. What does it matter where he is. He isn't here!

2. "He signed up for this you should have been expecting it." Right, we should have been expecting a massive earthquake in a foreign country. And even if we expected it, doesn't make it any easier.

3. Don't ask me how I am doing unless you are TRULY willing and eager to know how I am doing. If you are saying it to me as a social nicety, just try "Hey....hope things are going well."  I can go on and on about how I am doing. You may be the one to crack me, so there may be tears. So if you want to know, go ahead and ask...just be prepared for a very long answer

4. NEVER tell me how to parent my own child. I may open a can of whoop-ass on ya in Fred Meyer. (True Stroy, well almost.....) If my child is choosing to not wear a jacket it is because a.she is not cold and b. she needs a sense of control. So lady with the oversized bee-hive (note: this is the 21st Century) back off.....I choose my battles and today the coat lost.

5. Realize that YES peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are gourmet dinners. At least in the eyes of the most beautiful 4 year old.

No comments: